We deerhounds are large dogs and there aren’t too many things, animals, or people that make us nervous. Humans should try to put themselves in our paws. What would be the first thing that would enter a humans mind if they met a lion on their way to the park? My guess is, first fear and then they would become very nervous. If you really think about it that lion is probably 2 or 3 times larger than most humans. Now think about your dog who may only be 10 pounds. Almost everything the dog encounters is not 2 or 3 times larger than he is but 10 to 20 times larger. Now that’s enough to make anyone nervous. Here are some things that I have learned that I hope will assist you if your dog is nervous.
- Loud machines like sweepers, washing machines, leaf blowers, lawn mowers can really be intimidating to most dogs. I have taken noticed that when Stacey operates the sweeper she puts me outside to run in the yard and when she runs the lawn mower or leaf blower I get to go in the house and catch a nap on my favorite dog bed from West Paw Design. If you stopped in at the store in Medina Ohio, you probably know how I love my naps.
- If your dog is nervous and are having a few people in for a visit your owner should tell the visitors about the nervous problem before they arrive and ask them to simply ignore the dog. Most people will try to calm the nervous dog and can actually make things worse. Let the dog get used to others in the house and when he or she no longer feels threatened they may approach the visitors.
- If you have a friend who has a dog that is never nervous ask your friend to bring the dog to your house to play with your dog. Your dog will need a playmate who is playful but not overly aggressive. It may take a few play times at your house but eventually your dog will pick up the bolder more confident attitude of the other dog.
- If a stranger wants to give your nervous dog one of the great wheat free dog treats from One Lucky Dog Bakery you purchased for your dog and have stored in the refrigerator since there are no preservatives tell him to get down to the dogs level. You know the dog loves the dog treats and your friend will not be as imposing if he or she is at the dogs level.
- Owners do not like to admit it but they are a key factor in improving the behavior of nervous dogs. If an owner is erratic, loud, has bad moods, and is not consistent with us we take on those same characteristics. If the owner is calm we end up being calm and neither one us gets an ulcer.
Just in case you did not read my first blog on this subject tell your owner to try a few drops of Rescue Remedy on your food or a Complete Calm pill in some Bil-Jac before a storm or a trip to the Vet. It works for me. Just talk to Stacey at the Medina store or you can buy it at our website. Thanks for your comments and now it is time for the Finn dog to counter surf, Veggie dog treats are coming out of the oven.